Ecuador and Panama confirm their first cases of monkeypox | New

0

Ecuador’s public health ministry confirmed the country’s first case of monkeypox on Wednesday, in a 30-year-old man who lives in the southwestern coastal province of Guayas.

RELATED:

WHO announces reassessment of monkeypox outbreak

The National Public Health Research Institute carried out the tests confirming the virus after the patient showed characteristic symptoms such as fever, malaise and skin lesions resembling pimples or blisters.

“So far, the person is in stable condition and remains in isolation in Guayas, as are people they have been in contact with,” the ministry said in a statement.

Ecuador activated a national health alert on May 22 to begin monitoring for the presence of monkeypox and announced its first suspected case five days later, although it was ultimately ruled out.

Earlier on Tuesday, Panama also confirmed its first case of monkeypox, in a 30-year-old man who is currently receiving medical treatment. The diagnosis immediately activated contact tracing to prevent the spread of the virus, Health Minister Luis Sucre announced.

Despite the first case of monkeypox, the health measures announced last week regarding the lifting of the mandatory use of face masks from July 11, both in open and closed spaces, will go ahead, he said. he adds. The exception to the lifting of the wearing of the mask will concern health establishments, public and private, as well as public transport.

Monkeypox, a zoonotic disease endemic to parts of Africa that has spread to other continents, is transmitted primarily through direct contact with infected blood or bodily fluids.

Share.

Comments are closed.